Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Best of Both Worlds

As I promised, here is the low down on "15." As Crystal and I traveled down to Wichita, KS to pick our beloved kids who by the way, our daughter, did not recognize us. I was able to work on the computer and to put this piece together. As I typed, I realized that it would have to be put together in parts, namely three parts.

The link below is to part 1. It is mainly about how I feel about Rippetoe's 3x5 program and Wendler's 5-3-1 program. I covered the benefits and limitations of both programs and how I took what I thought was most beneficial and put it into a program of my own. It is still in the early stages and I have only put it into effect with about 3 people but so far, so good. I have even made more changes to the program since those three have tried it and will most definitely be making changes as more and more people use it and/or as I get more experience with coaching those that use it.

In any case, here is what I have come up with so far. I may have missed some very important parts and that's okay. Just pop over a question on the comments and I'll answer. Have fun with it and if you decide to use it, let me and everyone else know your results.

"Fifteen" Strength Program - Part I

8 comments:

Donohoe said...

I like what I have read a true systemic approach to increasing overall strenght. The addition of assitance lifts I think this will allow me to see the progress I want.
Ricky should we as a general rule look to increase our base calories?

Paula said...

I LOVED the Wendler's program! But it will be good to try a new one...specially designed by one of our own. I look forward to the challenge. Can't wait for 3:30 tomorrow.

Ricky Frausto said...

BJ,

I think an increase in calories will happen on its own. You may want to augment this with even more of what will happen naturally but I don't think it is necessarily needed unless you are trying to put on some weight.

Ricky

BigD said...

I'm excited to try the Wendler program, but now looking at "15", I'd love to give that one a shot too! I'm down for whatever.
Ready to get stronger!!!

Jake said...

The Wendler program has been exceptional thus far (as well as great coaching by Jimbo & Ricky). I like the combination of the two programs with Ricky's twist. I'd really like to take a shot at the program. Looking forward to reading parts 2 & 3.

GregP said...

I like the look of the 15 and I think it combines Rips and Wendlers well. Regarding the schedule as you explained it Monday, I am concerned that we won't get all 4 lifts in each week. That there will be too much time between each lift.

kahrs said...

I had the same schedule thoughts Greg, only doing the lifts once a week was wondering if the gains would be as quick as with Rips. Also was really looking forward to trying out the Wendler program to learn more about that to see the difference between the programs.

GregP said...

I think our class on the orginal Wendler program made good gains. We did BS/Bench, then DL/Press, and then repeated. So on some weeks you did the BS twice or DL twice.

That schedule had us lifting more than the orginal Wendler, because it had different schedules but you got all the lifts done over the course of a week.

My concern is the way I understood from Ricky is that we will only be doing one lift a day, that means we won't do all the lifts each week. And if remove the max rep startup and I count the classes right we barely get through one cycle.